The objective of EO_Regions_Science, financed by BELSPO in the frame of the STEREO III Program, is to perform a consistent and coordinated set of basic research activities in support to the EO_Regions! project (Plan Marshall 2022- Skywin). EO_Regions! develops innovating Earth observing downstream services based on new methodologies and services for dynamical monitoring of territories making use of EO data.
EO_Regions_Science aims to consolidate the scientific basis on which the services proposed by EO_Regions! are built and to facilitate their operationalization. Application fields of are Wallonia and Senegal.
The partnership is composed by
- Centre Spatial de Liège (CSL) – University of Liège
- Signal and Image Center (SIC) of the Royal Military Academy (RMA)
- Unité de Géomatique (UGEOM) - University of Liège,
- Unité Eau-Environnement-Développement (EED) - University of Liège – Campus of Arlon,
- Institut Scientifique de Service Public (ISSeP).
One of the targeted applications of EO_Regions! is ground displacement monitoring. CSL develops the methodology of ground displacement measurement by Differential SAR Interferometry (DInSAR) in the context of Sentinel-1 data. This application requires the availability of stable points acting as Permanent Scatterers (PS). It has then been proposed to use Corner Reflectors as artificial PS. As a first step, an in-depth analysis has been done to provide a design and identify the boundary conditions for the operational use. A CR has been mounted in Sart-Tilman and is observed in S1 TopSAR images.
The other partner research topics/expected results are focused on
- Ontologies providing a structuration of user oriented queries and consistency between users request and performed treatments (UGEOM – ULiège),
- Change detection and monitoring methodologies and toolbox (RMA),
- Crop status monitoring and yield forecasting by EO data assimilation into a crop model (EED- ULiège),
- Improvement of user needs understanding, in-situ acquisition protocols and test cases (ISSeP).